DEPARTMENT OF UKRAINIAN STUDIES
Historical disciplines at the University were taught since its foundation – the course of history was taught by the Department of Leninism. The first teachers were T. D. Taran (later – candidate of historical sciences, associate professor), M. M. Pidtychenko (later – rector of the Kiev Pedagogical Institute, professor, academician of the USSR Academy of Pedagogical Sciences).
In 1938, a college of social sciences, the Department of Marxism-Leninism, was created in the university. In the second half of the 1960s a department of teachers of the history of the CPSU (candidates of historical sciences, associate professors B.G. Kulikovsky (leader), T. D. Taran, S. M. Serditova, the senior lecturer O. K. Mitrofanova )
The Department has become an independent unit since 1972.
Many years of research activity of the Department was concentrated on different directions. Associate Professor B.G. Kulikovsky participated in writing the fundamental essays “History of the Cities and Villages of the Ukrainian SSR”, assistant professor A.V. Volchenko defended his doctoral dissertation, prepared two significant monographs on the problems of the history of the working class of Siberia, assistant professor A.F. Lipovsky, a monograph on problems the development of a high school.
In the period of perestroika instead of the course of history of the CPSU introduced a course of political history of the twentieth century, and the department was renamed the Department of Political History. After the proclamation of Ukraine’s independence in 1991, the teaching of Ukrainian-speaking disciplines began, and the Department was renamed as the Department of History and Ukrainian Studies since 1994. Since 2014, it was renamed as the Department of Ukrainian Studies.
Heads of the Department
The first head of the Department (Marxism-Leninism) was Taran T. D. (1938 – 1964).
Subsequently, the Department was headed by candidates of historical sciences, associate professors:
- F.Stetsenko (since 1965 – head of the department of Marxism-Leninism, as an independent unit he headed the department from 1972 to 1975);
- K. Dubovikov (1976 – 1986);
- F. Nikilev (1987 – 1988);
- M. Panchenko (1988 – 2003);
- A. Kovaleva (2003 – 2013).
From September 2013 to August 2014, the staff of the Department of History and Ukrainian Studies worked at the Department of Philosophy.
Since 2014 till now, the Department has been headed by a candidate of historical sciences, associate professor Borisov V. L.
Collective of the Department of History and Ukrainian Studies, 2010 (from left to right: associate professor Panchenko P.M., assistant professor Borisov V.L., teacher Kolisnyk G.M., associate professor Kulakevich L.M., associate professor Kovaleva N.A., professor Smagliy I.V., technician Yepik O.G.)